- "This data has been updated to a new file format and is now incompatible with this version of the software. Once you update your data to a newer version, it works with the new version only."
- "This data has been upgraded to a new file format and is now incompatible with this version of the software. Once you update your data to a newer version, it works with the new version only."
- Followed by the message, "Unable to open the company file".
- "This company file has been opened in a newer version of Sage 50 Accounting, which you have not yet installed."
- "This company file has been opened in a newer version of Sage 50 Accounting. Do you want to download and install the newer version?"
- File is not opening on a second computer or network computer
- "This company file has been updated to a newer file format and is now incompatible with this version of Sage 50 Accounting"
The data has been upgraded to a new release or higher version of Sage 50 and or data is located on a cloud service.
- Install the newest release. Go to Sage 50: Download Portal
- Use the updated program icon to open the database instead.
- If the 2023 icon does not exist, follow How do I install automatic silent downloads?.
Section 2: Verify SAI file
- On the desktop right - click on the .SAI file and open it with Notepad temporarily
- If there are references to the latest version and correct version of Sage 50 you installed in the text file, restore a backup by following How to restore from a backup
- If restoring a backup is not an option because of lost transactions, contact Sage 50 support
- If the version year is old, continue below
Section 3: The file has been upgraded to a higher version of Sage 50
- Upgrade Sage 50 to the right product version (e.g. Sage 50 Pro to Sage 50 Premium). Use the upgraded program to open the database
- If you are using 2018 or older, see What download do I need?
- If your data is already converted to Sage 50 Quantum and you no longer require its extensive features, it is also possible to convert your 2 fiscal years (previous and last) of your Sage 50 data to our native cloud product - Sage Business Cloud Accounting
- visit https://www.sage.com/en-ca/sage-business-cloud/accounting/ or call 1-866-850-0687
Section 4: You have an old version of Simply Accounting and the file was converted to the newest Sage 50
Option 1: You received your file back from accountant and they have converted to the latest version of software
- Install the latest version of Sage 50
- Verify you no longer receive the message
Option 2: You have the latest version of the software as well as the old version (you have two icons on your desktop)
- To verify desktop icon is for the latest version of software. Go to Desktop, right click on the new Sage 50 program icon and select Properties. Under the general tab, find the Description; it will show you the Sage 50 version and release
- Click the new Sage 50 program icon on the desktop to open the file
Section 5: A product update was installed, but not completely installed
- The latest product update was installed, the file was converted and it opened fine the first time. It is now not possible to open the file
- The splash screen on Sage 50 opening shows the latest release, but it doesn't correspond to the right tax table:
- Temporarily disable firewall and antivirus.
- Reinstall the product update (Ex.: SA_202**CPUP1.exe). See Related Resources for file location on your computer
- Open the file again
- If successful, reactivate protection
Section 6: The data is located in a cloud sync directory
- Verify the data is not located in a cloud folder synced with Microsoft One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc
- Move data to a local or on site network folder location
Chat with support