Error message: "The Connection Manager Service could not be started. You need administrator rights on this computer to start the service” when trying to launch Sage 50.
Method 1: Check for Windows updates
- Run Windows updates.
- Reboot the computer.
Method 2: Use profile with Administrator Rights
- Verify that your Windows profile has administrative rights.
- Navigate to Control Panel > User Accounts and ensure that you have administrative rights.
- Select the Windows Start button > All Programs, then Sage.
- Right-click Sage 50 Connection Manager > Run as Administrator.
- If prompted for a username and password, type in the required fields and try starting the service again.
Method 3: Check the Startup type
- Open the Control Panel > Administrative Tools, then Services.
- Right-click the Sage 50 Database Connection Manager and choose Properties.
- In General, verify the status of Startup type, if disabled, set it as Automatic
- Select the Log On tab. Enter the name of the user account and password that you use to log into Windows and click Apply.
Note: If there is no password on your account, add one using the User Accounts section of the Control Panel
- Select the General tab.
- Select Start to restart the service, then exit the services settings.
- Note: If there is still an error to start connection manager, revert to local system account. It might work and start the service with no errors.
Method 4: Check the Services
- Select Start.
- Under search program and files, key in 'services', then select Enter.
- Select Windows Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools, then Services
- Double-click on Sage 50 Database Connection Manager
- Change the Startup type: to Automatic.
- Select OK.
- In the connection manager window, select Start Service.
Note: If you get the error "The Sage 50 Database Connection Manager service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs", uninstall and reinstall Sage 50
Method 5: Uninstall and Reinstall
- Uninstall Sage 50 Accounting
- Reinstall Sage 50 Accounting as administrator: Browse to C:\Sage
- Open the installer files for the Sage 50 version and run the launch.exe as administrator
- Install any updates when necessary