- One or more of the key files have been removed from Shared Documents folder location: Windows: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Sage Software and as a result a bad key file or key file not found error occurs
- Some antivirus programs are interfering with Sage 50
- The Shared Documents folder containing the Sage keyfiles has been moved or deleted manually
- Malware is affecting the computer
- Sage 50 has not been activated after installation
Option 1: Verify computer setup
- A third party application may affect your Sage 50 usage. See Third party utilities, anti-virus and firewall issues with Sage 50 before following the options below.
- If there are no third-party utilities installed, run a malware scan. Refer to Method 1: Uninstall malware in article Program doesn't open when opening a file or using the program icon.
- Check for expired antivirus software and uninstall or resubscribe as needed.
- Right-click on your Sage 50 icon and choose Run as Administrator.
- If you still receive the error continue to Option 3.
- If you no longer receive the error "Key file not found", this could indicate a permission issue to access the software.
- Refer to the article How to Run Sage 50 as Administrator.
Option 3: Verify Activation Status
- Open the Sage 50 desktop icon.
- When prompted, activate Sage 50.
- If the problem isn't resolved, continue to Option 4.
Option 4: Uninstall / Reinstall
- In Windows 8.1 and older, go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, and Features.
- In Windows 10, Right-click on the Start menu and click on Programs and Features / Apps and Features
- Select your version of Sage 50 from the list.
- Click Uninstall.
- Reinstall using Sage 50: Download Portal and the article How do I install Sage 50 Accounting?
- or install it from the Installer Files folder in C:\Sage
Option 5: Turn off Controlled Folder Access
- Select Start, Settings, Update & Security, Windows Security, Virus & threat protection.
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
- Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.
- Switch the Controlled folder access setting to Off.
Chat with support