How to solve the error: "The user name and password are incorrect. Please enter a valid user name and password" when opening a company file.
- Incorrect or forgotten username or password.
- Sage 50 only allowed 7 characters in 2022 and older but users are able to assume the password is longer than seven characters.
- Issues with database.
Option 1: I was able to login with sysadmin with 2022 or older but not 2023.0
- Enter sysadmin as the User Name:
- Enter only the first 7 characters of your known Password in the 2023.0 version.
- To avoid password confusion, you can also change your password to 7 characters or less in the 2022 version by following How to change or delete a user's password?
- Enter your new password for sysadmin when converting to 2023
- After the file is opened in the 2023.0 version, you can follow How to change or delete a user's password? again to ensure the password is longer than 7 characters
Option 2: The error still occurs after entering my known sysadmin password
- If your system administrator does not know the password, contact Customer Support at 1-888-522-2722 for a password reset.
- If the password reset does not work, restore from a recent backup to a local drive by following How to restore from a backup.
Option 3: I can login with sysadmin but not with another username
- Login to the company using sysadmin as the username.
- Select Setup, then Set Up Users.
- Type the sysadmin password.
- Select OK.
- Select the User, then Modify.
- Enter the Password, then Re-enter Password.
- The password limit is 7 characters in 2022 and older
- The password can be longer than 7 characters in 2023.0 and higher versions
- Select OK.
- Select Close.